Searchify is an Android app that lets you do loads of things just by typing into the phone’s search box (note: don’t press return after typing!).
It’s free, and it works on Android 1.6 or higher.
Some of the things you can do with it:
- Unit convertor: Type a quantity (e.g. “10 pints” or “5 oz”) into the search box to see a list of conversions.
- Calculator: Just type a sum right into the search box.
- Translator: Type “translate” followed by a word or phrase in any language.
- Calendar entry: Type an event in text (e.g. “tue 3pm meeting” or “tomorrow 3pm – thursday 5am event @ John’s”) to add it to your calendar.
- Wikipedia: Type anything to bring back search results from Wikipedia that will link you direct to the Wikipedia page.
- Keyword search: like in Firefox, type e.g. “twt android” to search twitter, or “dict something” to search a dictionary.
- Calendar search: Type “cal” followed by anything to search your calendar for events.
For more information on these features, click the links above or see all the instructions.
If you have Android 2.2 (Froyo), find out how Android 2.2 affects Searchify.